- Today starts a new semester for my students and I. For Thursday, please read:
- From 50 Essays edited by Cohen:
- “Seeing” by Annie Dillard (also online here),
- “Letter from Birmingham” by Martin Luther King (online info, link, pdf here)
- recommended “Regarding the Pain of Others” by Susan Sontag
- recommended “Allegory of the Cave” by Plato
- VC Reporter 1/5/12: editorial (online here),
forecast 2012 (climate + 1–online here)
- Read MLK’s “I Have a Dream” (online here)
- Listen to MLK’s “I Have a Dream” (online here
Write what you’d like in a page or two about these readings and turn in at our next class for extra credit.
What are some of the connections that you “see” between the various readings? Can you connect them with what we’ve talked about so far in class?
Remember English 2 and English 1A are 5 unit classes which = 10 hours of study a week. This may seem like a lot of reading but you should be able to finish it in less than 5 hours.
I hope you enjoy the readings! The Annie Dillard essay is one of my favorite pieces of writing.